Friday 3 September 2010

Apples Ping beset with Spam

Ok, yet another social networking offering, this time by Apple. Apple appears to be doing a Google and trying to get in on everything. This one though seems to be specific to the music industry and our consumption of their product.

So I signed up, to check it out. Nothing that exciting yet but already I've noted spam. People setting up accounts simply to comment on anything and everything to tout their wares, the one I saw was funnily enough about how to get a free iPhone.


Time will tell what Apple chooses to do about this. I've yet to see a web interface for Ping which is telling. If you can only access Ping via iTunes then it will be much less accessable than other social services.

Who knows if the 'net public will want to sign up for yet another social service. I think the only people who will will be people Apple already has a relationship with, i.e. iPhone and iPod users who have an iTunes account.

I can't see the draw, can you?

No comments: