Thursday 9 September 2010

Are we there yet? Sick of waiting for IPv6?

Just a quick one today.

I've been using IPv6 since the days of the 6bone and have been waiting ever since for commercial service. Initially I was only interested in IPv6 access at home but now that I look after my own commercial offering, I really want IPv6 available at work.

My provider (who also happens to be my parent company) has allowed me to join their trial of IPv6 via a tunnel from my Internet routers. This along with a /48 allocation of address space as at least allowed me to do a proof of concept and get all my infrastructure properly configure.

The big question is, with IPv4 running out within the year , why oh why am I still waiting for my service provider to get on board and provide IPv6 service?

I've now been told December this year but only if I sign up to a new Internet connection. I've yet to be told if they will be charging extra for IPv6 which would be counter productive. Given that my provider is my parent company, I have no choice but to wait, but what a long wait it's been.

1 comment:

Selvakumar Manickam said...

I agree with you. We are down to like 5% of the IPv4 address space pool but most ISPs are still dragging their feet on this. When asked, their answer is "Don't see ROI by providing IPv6!"